Sunday, March 8, 2015

To My Friends at Ridge Presbyterian Church . . .

Hello friends,
I am writing this blog today to tell you all that I am officially leaving Ridge Presbyterian Church. I feel that God has been putting this on my heart for a long time now, and I think I've found a new church here in Chico that is going to be my new home.

For many years, those of you close to me know how I've struggled with the concept of gender relations in the church. I've asked myself, does God want me to be submissive? Does he want only men in positions of church leadership? Am I believing what I want to believe, or am I really figuring out what God wants for me as a woman?

I've found in my grappling with these topics that God wants everyone to be submissive, to one another and in Christ. And I've found in reading the gospels (and the old testament) that God honors women and puts them in positions of leadership and ministry again and again and again. The bible was written during a time in history when women were not typically honored in these ways, not allowed in positions of authority. And yet even Paul himself had a deaconess (not just male deacons). 

Before people make comments trying to debate with me, please know that is not the reason I'm writing this. I'm not going to try to convince anyone of my opinions. I realize they're exactly that - my opinions. And I don't pretend to have all the answers to what it means to be a woman in Christ. That's a journey that will occupy the rest of my life on this earth. But I do know that the inequality at Ridge became more than just a point of disagreement for me, it became a stumbling block. I found myself leaving Sunday sermons angry and not able to worship freely because I was distracted.

This reminds me of a discussion in Romans about people with different beliefs who all serve God.


Romans 14:5-6, 13

One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God. . .
13 Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. 14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. . .
22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves.


I may not have all the answers, but I definitely have felt God tugging on my heart. Today I went to a church where all of that distraction, all of that anger was non existent. Men and women lead the service side by side, as equals. I heard an amazing woman pastor whom I felt like she was speaking directly to me. I'm reluctant to say what that church is at this point until Dustin can come with me and we can make this decision together. That's one thing we do agree on, that's it's important for us to attend the same church.

It was not an easy decision to leave. Please know I love the people at Ridge and I've learned so much from the sermons, the worship, and all of my experiences there. I've been reading and praying and thinking about this possibility for a long time now, years even. Ridge has been an important part of my Christian walk, but now a new chapter is starting.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, Jess. Thank you for your passion for Jesus and kindness in expressing your decision ... It means a lot to me. Please stay in my life by checking in and dialoguing with me about all these sorts of issues which are super important. I always learn from you. Thank you, in Christ-
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. :-) Thanks for the kind words, I've always appreciated that you welcome discussions of controversial topics and respect different opinions. Will miss the whole church family.

    ReplyDelete